Join Our Team
The world is moving toward more efficient and environment-friendly power generation methods to meet the growing global demand for energy-and we at Capstone intend to take it by storm. We are always looking for creative and ambitious people who want to join us in our pursuit and be part of a team that brings clean and reliable energy solutions to businesses around the world. Advanced engineering and more than 100 patents put Capstone's leading-edge technology in a class of its own.
Capstone is an equal opportunity employer. All applicants will be considered without giving regard to race, religion, color, national origin, sex, sexual orientation and gender identity, age, status as a protected veteran, or status as a qualified individual with a disability.
All resumes should be emailed to email@example.com.
Mechanical Design EngineerVan Nuys, California
GENERAL PURPOSE OF THE POSITION: Designs and develops optimal, cost-effective design solutions ensuring that designed product meets manufacturability, serviceability, and quality requirements.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Generate engineering documentation that entails solid models, detailed design drawing definition, Bills of Materials, Engineering Changes Requests, Test Plans, and Engineering Specifications and Reports. Create, update, and check engineering designs through Capstone’s Engineering Change Order (ECO) processes.
- Compile costed Bill of Materials to identify methods of optimizing direct material costs through materials, manufacturing processes, design for manufacturability improvements, make versus buy analysis, and work closely with the internal departments and vendors to implement cost reductions without compromising product reliability, production line assembly, or serviceability requirements.
- Work with suppliers and Procurement department to ensure supplier product is meeting all required specifications. Resolve supplier discrepancy issues using proper processes and possible visits to supplier sites. Assist with supplier assessments and development plans including supplier evaluation processes, and identify/ implement supplier process and cost savings opportunities.
- Collaborate with multiple departments, vendors, and customers to design and manufacture products that fulfill design intent, as well as, achieve budgetary, reliability, and schedule goals.
- Support Sustaining and Applications Engineering projects to enhance product reliability and robustness of the overall system, including modifications to turbomachinery, enclosure and packaging, fuel delivery systems, and electrical submodules.
- Ability to perform general engineering calculations in order to validate engineering design meets product requirement specifications.
Skills and Abilities Required:
- Experience with 3-D CAD / solid modeling SW required; proficiency in Catia V5 is required.
- General knowledge of sheet metal, machining, casting and forging and materials used in gas turbine packaging systems.
- Strong knowledge of ANSI Y14.5 dimensioning and tolerancing, GD&T.
- Working knowledge of building and modifying Bill of Materials highly desired.
- Able to work independently with limited supervision.
- Proven ability to organize and manage multiple priorities to meet aggressive schedules
- Demonstrates good interpersonal skills and ability to work with various departments and external suppliers.
- Ability to travel to supplier sites, including international suppliers (10% of time).
Education and Experience Required:
- BSME or other related Engineering field is required, with a minimum of 3 years applicable experience.
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office is required.
- Automotive / turbine industry background is highly desired.
- Experience with manufacturing processes highly desired
- Some light physical effort required.
- Will be required to perform occasional lifting of light test lab materials.
- Regularly required to sit or stand, reach, bend and move about the facility.
Personal Protective Equipment:
- Safety glasses & steel toe shoes are required when completing certain tasks in the lab, test facility, and shop floor.
- Work performed in a combination of an office and lab environment.
- Minimal travel required.
This job description in no way states or implies that these are the only duties to be performed by the employee(s) incumbent in this position. Employee(s) will be required to follow any other job-related instructions and to perform any other job-related duties requested by any person authorized to give instructions or assignments.
All duties and responsibilities are subject to possible modification to reasonably accommodate individuals with disabilities. The requirements listed in this document are the minimum levels of knowledge, skills or abilities that the incumbent(s) must possess to successfully perform each duty proficiently.
This document does not create an employment contract, implied or otherwise, other than an "at will" relationship.